BigHope is seeking a motivated individual with a keen interest in gaining hands-on experience working for a growing local nonprofit that provides Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) education to young students in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.
The BigHope executive internship will provide opportunities to work directly with the founder, volunteers, teachers, students and parents, partners and other community organizations to develop key professional skills, network with professionals in the nonprofit and tech industry, and use their own creativity, classroom knowledge, and passion to support our STEAM programs.
The internship is a dynamic position, and the selected intern will serve as a liaison to support BigHope programs and engagement in elementary schools. General responsibilities will include stakeholder relationship management and engagement (i.e., educators, students, parents, community and corporate volunteers and partners), event planning and execution, fundraising support, program development and implementation, and general administrative duties.
The internship starts in January and run through May (flexible start & end dates) with the opportunity to extend the internship into the summer. This position has a $1500 per month stipend and requires 10 to 15 hours per week.
Hours can be flexible and scheduled based on the intern’s class schedule. This position is a combination of virtual and in-person.
The internship responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Program logistics support for school, after school and community programs (scheduling, project kits, school participation)
Provide support for volunteer engagements
o Help develop volunteer handbook
o Volunteer logistics & support
o Volunteer recognition
o Assist in planning volunteer committee calls/meetings.
· Provide event support to include planning, logistics, and implementing school and community events and projects in the Dallas Independent School District.
· Provide social media and website content support to help increase and grow BigHope’s social media and online presence and audience.
· Field participant questions and inquiries.
· Assist with research and outreach for new fundraising and awareness-building opportunities.
· Support BigHope’s team with data management and analysis (program reporting, surveys, participants’ outcomes).
· Provide general administrative support and perform other job-related duties as assigned.
· Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree, or certification program in an applicable field (i.e., STEAM-related, early childhood or elementary education, M.A. in teaching; nonprofit management, social work).
· Possess strong written and verbal communication and customer service skills.
· Some familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office (primarily Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google (Docs, Drive).
· Possess creativity, flexibility, and growth potential; Be a self-starter who is collaborative, enthusiastic, and adaptable.
· Must be located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex during the semester.
· Possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and their own transportation. Travel to meetings throughout the Metroplex will also be required.
· Possess a laptop and cell phone, and Internet access in order to be able to work remotely as well as in the corporate office.
· Must pass a background check which is required by the schools.
· Is expected to be present and on time for all professional commitments, including BigHope events/meetings.
BigHope is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to prepare youth for opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) fields through inspiration, engagement, and exposure. Founded by Oren O’Neal, an engineer and retired NFL player (Oakland Raiders), BigHope provides STEAM activities, mentoring and other enrichment programs to engage, educate and empower youth in schools, and after school and summer programs in underserved communities in South Dallas, Texas.